Saturday, May 19, 2007


I've successfully migrated FreeBSD's internationalization code outside of their tree, and I went to do a symbol count today ( from elfdump(1)'s symbol table ).

I've got 269 defined symbols, libc_i18n.a has 287. Given, FreeBSD has a bunch of functions for fiddling with their "rune" data structure, so as a progress bar the number comparison is more or less useless, I just found it mildly interesting

Unfortunately it all depends on gcc at the moment, and I'd like to get it cleaned up to compile with SUNWspro, but a Studio cleanup is at the bottom of the queue for now.

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Weekly Status

So, I figure it's Saturday, and I should probably make an update as to my progress thus far.

I've got all of FreeBSD's libc/locale subsystem compiling outside of the fBSD tree with the exception of localeconv.c, nl_langinfo.c & setlocale.c which I will finish for tonight or tomorrow evening most likely.

That was all mostly just a bunch of boring monkey work, but it'll make work later a lot easier. I've also been pondering about the best way to link together these objects as something I can encapsulate within a larger library that'll export the symbols I actually need (my linker-foo is weak).

I also need to inform myself about a way to convert the locale on-disk format that Solaris uses in to something that these fBSD functions expect. Since I'm almost certainly not allowed to break things, I'm thinking it'll have to be a runtime conversion with some wrapper functions. Given, I haven't looked too far in to things, so I may be completely off-base with what I need to do here.